Museum Technical Assistance
Environmental Monitoring Kit
UA&M now offers an environmental monitoring kit for rent for a small fee. The kit includes tools to measure your museum’s temperature, humidity, and light allowances. For more information about the kit or to inquire about rental, please contact Jennifer Ortiz at firstname.lastname@example.org or 801.245.7288.
We now offer an onsite preservation assessment for museums interested in learning more about how to better preserve their collections. Based off of Heritage Preservation’s Conservation Assessment Program (CAP), Utah Arts and Museum’s Preservation Assessment provides constructive feedback on areas of improvement through a facilitated onsite visit and itemized report. The visit and report are meant to provide feedback that will assist in identifying priority collections care needs and better assist museums interested in applying for museum grants through Utah Arts and Museums.
Please see our Pre-Assessment worksheet for more information and contact Jennifer Ortiz, Museum Specialist at 801-245-7288 to schedule your assessment.
“Our small museum has been able to expand our skills to better protect our collection and serve our visitors.”
Historic Interpretation Plan Assessment
Do you have a historic house museum in your community that needs a historic interpretation plan? The interpretation of historic interiors can create a powerful interpretative experience for visitors to feel the history of your museum or historic structure’s space. Historic Interpretation can encompass a historic structure with original furnishings, a restored interior with some originals furnishings, or a recreated/reconstructed interior without non-original furnishings. A Historic Interpretation Plan can assist your museum with telling its story.
For more information and to schedule your site visit, please contact Alena Franco at 801-245-7233, afranco@utah.
- Heritage Preservation-Resources for Emergency Planning and Preparedness
- American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works (AIC) Response resources
- Northeast Document Conservation Center 24/7 Collections Emergency Phone Assistance
- Western States & Territories Preservation Assistance Service (WESTPAS)
- Getty Conservation Institute: Build your own emergency plan PDF
- Emergency Response and Salvage Wheel app for your smart phone
- Developing a Collections Management Policy, American Alliance of Museums Resource Guide
- International Council of Museums–Deaccessioning bibliography
- National Parks Service-Conserve O Grams
- Collections Storage Techniques from STASH
- Collections Care assistance from Connecting to Collections (C2C)
Fair Use and Copyright Issues
Museum Support Organizations
- Association of Registrars and Collections Specialists
- American Association for State and Local History
- Small Museum Association
- American Alliance of Museums
- Association for Living History, Farm and Agricultural Museums
- Association of Children’s Museums
- Association of College and University Museums and Galleries
- Institute of Museum and Library Service
- Conservation Center for Art and Historical Artifacts
- Museum Education Roundtable